The Hotel am Markt is one of the few buildings in Wipperfürth that survived the great city fire of 1795.
The merchant Johann Reinshagen had the house built in 1785. It was the largest and most modern house in town. The large staircase is particularly striking. After Johann Reinshagen died in 1812, the house was sold.
From 1904 to 1934, the former Haus Reinshagen functioned as a boarding school for the municipal high school. After the grammar school closed, the Catholic parish bought the building and used it for church associations and courses. Since the Cologne cardinal Karl Joseph Schulte, who celebrated his 25th anniversary as bishop in 1935, the building has been called "Karl-Joseph-Haus" and was known by this name for a long time.
Invalids from Bergisch Gladbach were housed here during World War II when the hospital there was set up as a military lazzaret. This developed into a long-term use as a retirement home until 1985.
In 1987, the rear building was demolished, the historical substance was restored and converted into a hotel and restaurant. In November 2017, the now well-known hotel “Haus am Markt” was opened here.”
The "Haus am Markt" has been expanded in the following years and now consists of the historic building and a newer building that has very large, bright and comfortable rooms, some even with a balcony. The entire area has a total of 29 rooms.
Furthermore, in the historic building you will find the very inviting reception room for guests, the breakfast room, a comfortable bar, a restaurant and a wine bar in the cozy vaulted cellar with a separate entrance.
The outdoor terrace has 30 seats and is a meeting place to spend nice evenings there with enjoyable food and suitable drinks.
After a break of about 1 year, the "Haus am Markt" has now reopened under the new name "Hotel am Markt" under the management of Klaus and Christian Ortlieb (KCO Hotels GmbH).