The oldest documented mention dates back to the year 1131. In the Siegburg miracle book, the place is already referred to as an oppidum (=city). Spelling of the first naming: "Weperevorthe". Wipperfürth received city rights between 1217 and 1222. From 1283 the town administration was headed by Count Adolf V. von Berg. As early as 1275, King Rudolf of Habsburg allowed the Count to move his mint from Wildberg to Wipperfürth. Pfennigs were minted here based on the Cologne model. In 1328, with the privilege of King Ludwig of Bavaria, the first penny was minted in Germany in Wipperfürth. The city had been a member of the Hanseatic League since the 14th century. Businessmen from the city traveled to Stockholm, Dorpat, Malmö, Novgorod, Reval and Lübeck. The city coat of arms from 1267 shows a church in a battlemented wall. Remnants of this city wall can still be found today on the monastery hill. The oldest building is located on the market square together with the market fountain. The development of the city was hampered by numerous city fires: 1333, 1352, 1368, 1383, 1404, 1412 and 1465. From 1815-1932 Wipperfürth was the district seat of the district of the same name.
Wipperfürth is located on the river Wupper, which is called Wipper in the upper reaches east of the city.